Thursday, November 17

The Lazy Cake

I'm on the search for the perfect vanilla cake. You heard me. The Perfect Vanilla Cake. Not yellow, not chocolate, just honest vanilla. So far I've made only two vanilla cakes and endless chocolate ones. But this quest to conquer the vanilla is new to me. So I've been spending my time shuffling through my database - cookbooks, blogs and whatnot.

The morning went by chatting (up and) with Minu, a fellow foodie and writer (she promised to start her food blog...) and I may have told her that I'd be making a vanilla cake from Martha Stewart... but nawh, I figured I'd do something 'versatile' instead!

But I was feeling lazy. Rusty too. And I literally worked the cake out like a zombie. Thank Gawd the cake was easy! But funny story... and I have pictures to prove it too!


Here I am, taking the picture.


When all of a sudden Wafi, my nephew, ROBS me of the cake during the photo shoot! 


And I'm left with a holey cake. Holey Cow!



And the monster's back. For the whole thing this time! Ahh.. caught red-handed!

Adapted slightly from Martha Stewart
Here's what you need for The Lazy Cake: (good for one 2 inch by 9 inch cake)

115 g butter (I usually play guess with my knife)
11/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (if using unsalted butter)
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk and half of another (don't ask how I did this!)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup buttermilk (use yoghurt if unavailable)

Method:

1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one by the one. And the yolks. Add the vanilla.

2. Separately sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (if using). Alternate between the milk and the flour mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture.

3. Shove inside the preheated oven (at 180 C ). Bake for 30-32 minutes. Cool for 10.

The cake will come out moist and fluffy and really quite close to perfection. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. This one works like a charm! I recently gave this a shot with help from a friend at a weekend gathering and it was quite the hit! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ur blog made my day :):) its better than u hahhahahaha :P:P LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete