Friday, November 18

Lime Meringue Tart

This just had to be done. Really! I've seen pictures, heard stories and I finally gave it a shot.

Funny how everytime I blog, I think of Minu. She's yet to blog. Plus, she's one of the only three people who actually Read this blog. *blush*

I'm not ashamed to admit that. Not one bit. *sigh*

Limes are far sweeter than lemons you know. I found that out the hard way. After squeezing a couple of lemons for a certain dessert, I came to discover an unwelcome bitterness in the dish. Hmm. Oh and limes are 'superior' too. Don't ask. Dirty politics.

My mom-in-law is not in the know but I moved some of her favorite things to make space for this photo shoot. Heh Heh.. left the coral for the peaks :) the 'stiff' peaks.

So this recipe's been taken from My Baking Addiction.I really really like this site but I have to admit that most of the things I've tried from there haven't worked out that well for me. Would I make this tart again? I... yes. But I would work on it to find my own stance. The lime filling was.. too tart for this tart *sheepish grin*

Here's what you'll be needing...

The Tart
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar, plus 3 tbsp
Kosher salt
6 tbsp cold butter, diced
2 tbsp shortening (Crisco is the only one I've come across)
1/4 cup ice water

The Lime Filling
1/4 pound butter, that's about 115 g (1 stick) at room temperature
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 large eggs
3 large egg yolks (work the whites in the meringue)
1/4 cup finely grated lime zest (it took me 5 limes)
1/2 freshly squeezed lime juice
1/8 tsp kosher salt

The Meringue
4 large egg whites at room temperature (work with the leftover whites)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (I have no idea where you might get this in Dhaka)


To get the Tart done combine the flour, 3 tbsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp of salt in a bowl and freeze for 30 minutes. Blend with the butter and shortening in 10 short pulsing motions. The butter should be grainy and in small bits. Add the ice water and mix till a dough forms. Wrap and chill for 30.

Preheat your oven to 375 F. Here's a very basic link for heat conversions. Roll out your dough (if doing this for the first time, I recommend using baking sheets. That way the dough won't stick. Make sure you don't stretch the dough while placing it on the pan because it will shrink. Butter a side of aluminum foil, place the butter side on the tart and cover with beans, rice, a stone, I don't know. Bake blind for 10. Remove the paperweight. Prick the base with your fork. Bake another 15-20 minutes. Cool completely.

Move on to the Lime Filling by creaming the butter and sugar for a minute. Helps if you have an electric mixer. Add the eggs and yolks one by one. Add the zest, salt and juice. It's meant to look curdled.

Pour into a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Please do this right. It has be quick thick to set properly. Like thick caramel consistency. Don't allow it to boil - that will lead to lumps. Cool completely.

Pour into the prepared tart shell. For the Meringue, whip egg whites, cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp of salt until frothy (i.e. won't budge an inch even if the bowl's been turned upside down). Spread. (Oh thy dirty mind!) Bake for 3-5 minutes on the top rack until browned. Serve cooled.

Yes, I know. This is very easy to make. Haha!



2 comments:

  1. jowssssss...shey din ja mojar chilooowwww.....!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete